Paul Robeson Information Resource Center
Paul Robeson IRC Mission, Policies and Hours
The Paul Robeson Information Resource Center (Robeson IRC) of the U.S. Embassy hosts the definitive collection of Americana on the island. The Robeson IRC is the research and reference service of the Public Affairs Section, specializing in providing current, comprehensive and timely information on U.S. history, politics, policy, economics, legislation, trade as well as social and cultural issues. Within these subject areas, the Robeson IRC staff can help inquirers to find detailed and extensive information, or assist in identifying appropriate information sources to contact in the United States.
IRC collection includes printed and electronic materials in the specific subject areas such as Democracy and Human Rights, Economic Issues, Global issues, Information and Communication, Political Security, U.S. Society, Values and Policies.
Books and Reference materials: current U.S. books in specific subject areas. Including encyclopedias, dictionaries, U.S. legislation, U.S. jurisprudence, statistical information, biographies and more.
Periodicals: The Robeson IRC subscribes to periodicals that reflect the interests of the U.S. Mission. Besides that, IRC online database subscriptions provide access to more than 8.000 publications with fulltext articles.
DVDs and Videos: U.S movies and documentaries.
eLibrary USA: is a virtual library with free access offered by American Government that provides materials as scientific articles, newspapers, electronic books, maps, encyclopedias and others high quality information. If you are interesting in accessing eLibrary, please contact The Paul Robeson Information Resource Center to request your login at KingstonIRC@state.gov
Online databases: online databases that provide citations, abstracts and fulltext articles related to a variety of themes. Please note that only IRC librarians have access to these databases and are allowed to do the searches.
- Books in Print - comprehensive database of English language book titles.
- EBSCOHost - including eBook Collection, Regional Business News, Business Source Premier, Fuente Academica, Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia,and Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts.
- Gale Academic - source for news and full text periodicals titles.
- HeinOnline - image based and fully searchable historical legal documents.
- JStor - is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping the scholarly community discover, use, and build upon a wide range of intellectual content in a trusted digital archive.
- Lexis-Nexis - provides the most expansive collection of online content availabel anywhere and the tools you need to extract the essentials from the overwhealming amount of information. One click pulls together relevant case law, treatises, law reviews and legal news for your topic.
- National Journal - a new combined newsroom of reporters fulfills the demands of consumers across the entire news continuum: breaking news, offering instant analysis and vital context, and delivering big picture perspective on the impact of new developments on the future of legislation, public policy, and political outcomes.
- Project Muse - Online scholarly journals in the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Proquest - Comprehensive database of periodicals and scholarly journals.
The Robeson IRC currently has a growing inventory of over 1,000 books along with a repository of test preparation materials for U.S. standardized tests such as the SAT, GRE and GMAT. A few periodicals are available in hard copy. Through its virtual database eLibraryusa 20 databases of authoritative and continually updated information available will be available to you - free of charge at the Paul Robeson Information Resource Center. Start here to learn more about the encyclopedias, textbooks, reports, journals, videos, photographs about the United States and the world.
Additionally the Robeson IRC librarians provide quick reference assistance and research, utilizing these print and electronic resources. Reference queries are accepted by telephone, e-mail, fax or in person during the hours of 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday through Friday , except for American and Jamaican public holidays.
In addition to its daily reference and outreach services, the Information Resource Center is involved in several activities including Group Research Sessions in History Literature and Environment conducted in the IRC, involving teachers and senior students from high schools and colleges across Jamaica. These are intended to enhance the existing school curriculum, and to give the students and teachers/lecturers a better understanding of U.S. history, literature, environment, and society.
The Robeson IRC is also the Educational Advising center for students wishing to find out about colleges in the U.S., and other Education USA resources. The Embassy’s Student Adviser provides individual counseling on College selection and standardized tests, group sessions in the Robeson IRC, and school visits for talks with teachers/guidance counselors, students and parents. This is to provide unbiased information on study opportunities in the United States for international students, to guide them through the College selection process, and help make the adjustment on their arrival in the USA.
In order to have access to these resources it is necessary for each visitor to complete a registration form to become a member of the Robeson IRC. With a membership card, the user will have access to all the books, periodicals, DVDs, electronic databases and educational resources available in the Robeson IRC, without having to make an appointment. Persons who wish to become members of the Robeson IRC are asked to complete the attached registration form(PDF 124-KB) and return it to the Robeson IRC with two passport size photographs. Form (PDF 147KB)
The IRC contact information is:
Paul Robeson Information Resource Center
Embassy of the United States of America
142 Old Hope Road, Kingston 6, Jamaica
See some or our latest titles here.