Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
U.S. Citizen Services

Welcome to the American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit of the U.S. Embassy in Kingston, Jamaica!

Delays in Overseas U.S. Passport Processing:  We continue to experience some delays in the printing of U.S. passports that were approved at overseas passport facilities.  Some applications accepted at U.S. Embassies or Consulates on or after May 26, 2015 are affected by this delay.  If you applied for a U.S. passport during this time frame and have travel plans within the next 10 business days, please consider requesting an emergency passport at the consulate or embassy at which you originally applied.  Information about how to apply for an emergency passport is available in the “Frequently Asked Questions” on this page.

The ACS Unit, in conjunction with our Consular Agencies in the Cayman Islands and Montego Bay, provides information and assistance to U.S. citizens in Jamaica and the Cayman Islands.  At each location, U.S. citizens can submit applications for U.S. passports, document children born in Jamaica or the Cayman Islands, and request help in an emergency. All non-emergency services are provided by appointment.

The U.S. Embassy and the Consular Agency in Montego Bay are closed on all Jamaican and U.S. holidays. The Consular Agency in the Cayman Islands is closed on all Caymanian and U.S. holidays.  

Embassy Access
All visitors to the Embassy are required to undergo a security check.  Electronic items, including cell phones, cameras, beepers, and pagers, are prohibited on the Embassy compound and should be secured elsewhere before entering the Embassy.  The Embassy does not have the means to store these items and reserves the right to limit their entry.

During normal business hours, please use the contact information listed below:

Embassy of the United States of America - Kingston
Monday - Friday, 7:15 AM - 4:00 PM
142 Old Hope Road
Kingston 6, Jamaica
(876) 702-6450
(876) 702-6018 Fax

The American Citizen Service Unit offers in-person services on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 7:30 AM -12:00 PM and 1:00 Pm – 4:00 PM.

For after-hours emergencies, call 1- (876) 702-6000

While neither the Embassy nor the Consular Agencies provide parking for visitors, ample commercial parking is available in nearby lots.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I renew my U.S. passport?

    How do I renew my U.S. passport?

    • Appointments are required for all passport renewal interviews. To apply for a passport in Kingston, you must make an appointment online.  To apply for a passport in Montego Bay or the Cayman Islands, you must make an appointment via email. Please review the information above on how to schedule an appointment.

  • How do I report a lost or stolen "Green Card?"

    How do I report a lost or stolen "Green Card?"

    • If you lost your green card, if your green card is expired or if you never received your green card, the Department of Homeland Security in Kingston may be able to issue you a transportation letter to permit you to return to the United States. You will need to contact  Once you have completed the application process individuals will be seen by appointment.

  • My passport was stolen, what should I do?

    My passport was stolen, what should I do?

    • If your U.S. passport was stolen and you have a police report reflecting the theft, you may submit your application form by visiting the American Citizen Services Unit on any weekday, except Wednesdays, between the hours of 8:00 – 11:00. No appointment is necessary if you are reporting a stolen passport and have a police report.  If your passport was lost, please schedule an appointment.

  • How do I report the birth of a U.S. citizen overseas?

    How do I report the birth of a U.S. citizen overseas?

    • If you are a U.S. citizen who recently had a child in Jamaica or the Cayman Islands and you wish to document your child as a U.S. citizen, you should apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.  Please go to this part of our website for additional information on how to do this.

  • Can I get an Emergency Passport to travel immediately?

    Can I get an Emergency Passport to travel immediately?

    • Emergencies are generally considered to be either a lost or stolen passport of a tourist who is here for a short visit; or, a medical emergency in the United States.  A local police report is required before reporting a lost or stolen passport to the U.S. Embassy.

      Please be aware that the rules for emergency passport issuance are strict, and a consular officer will determine if your situation meets the State Departments standard for an emergency.  Emergency passports have the same fees as regular passports but have very limited validity.  The passport will expire shortly after your travel to the U.S.  If you believe you require an emergency passport, please e-mail us at to explain your situation.

      Please complete your application form online, then print it before coming in to the Embassy.

  • Can I have a document notarized?

    Can I have a document notarized?

    • Documents may be notarized at the U.S. Embassy in Kingston or the Consular Agencies. All notary services are conducted on an appointment basis and persons requesting notarial services must appear in person. We do not accept Jamaican Voter Registration cards as identification. The cost for each service is $50 USD.

Are You Registered?

  • STEP The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. STEP allows you to enter information about your trips abroad so that the Department of State can better assist you in an emergency.